Friday, May 4, 2012

Galveston Island 70.3 Race Report - Suz

Walking along the Pier

Finish Line shot

Leading up to Galveston 70.3 I was very excited. I also was nervous about some conditions that might present on race day. Namely the possible wind, heat and rough water. I was encouraged (ordered) by my coach to not stress the uncontrollable and just have fun. 
Race morning madness
As per my usual I didn’t sleep much the days before the race. Nerves and excitement get the best of me. On race morning I did feel rested and ready. I was the first of our group of racers to go off.  The walk to the pier was further than I thought so by the time I got there my wave was in the water. I had just enough time to jump in, find a spot and set my watch before it was “go time.” I had no time to fret and as I began swimming I felt the crush of bodies. The first 5 minutes or so I was grabbed, dunked and was grabbing and dunking back. I felt this push on my shoulder that was strong enough to make me stop and look up. This woman pointed to me and yelled “you grab my leg one more time and I’m going to punch you in the head!” I couldn’t believe this grown ass woman was threatening me! I mumbled some sort of apology and kept on swimming. I have to say that my swim time didn’t reflect how okay I felt in the water. I felt like I swam straight (although my Garmin told me different) and I didn’t feel spent coming out of the water. 
That wetsuit wouldn't go over than damn Garmin!

My first hiccup of the day was getting my wet suit off. These two adorable girls that were no bigger than a minute tried for what seemed like forever to strip it off but it was caught on my watch! Finally after a group effort my wet suit came off and I was off to T1.
After a smooth transition I was on the bike. Galveston is an out and back along the coast. The view is pretty but exactly the same. Mind numbingly the same. The wind on the way out was intense. Mentally I struggled with how slow my speed was. Physically I was uncomfortable. My hope was that on the way back I could make up some time and get in some sort of grove.  When the turn around came I did feel a bit of a tail wind. My speed improved, slightly. The view was the same, again. 
Happy to be coming into T2
Trying to yell something at Nick :)
When I pulled into transition I was really happy to be off the bike! That was the longest to date I have ever been on a bike!  My legs weren’t happy.
The run was so incredibly well supported! The three-loop course was packed with people. The upside of that was all the cheering and distractions. The down side was half way through the first lap I need to throw up but I couldn’t find a single place that was private! I saw my peeps several times during the race and that always helps. With a three-loop course I was able to see my fellow racers as well. 
Post Race!
Having too much fun in NOLA...found a new friend!
After the race we all were able to hang out by the pool and enjoy a beer. We were in for a long ride back to Sarasota but our overnight stop in NOLA made a tough race worth it….almost

1 comment: