Friday, May 4, 2012

St. Anthony's Race Report - Rell

Brian Rell and his brother-in-law, Travis.




St A's Post Race Report:

Up at 4am...foam rolled for 15-20min, had two packages of oatmeal, got bottles ready, picked up Travis (brother in law) at 5...ran over opposum on university (nasty...we laughed for 15 min as the damn thing turned around at the last 2nd..and splat), got to st pete and transition by 6. 

Set-up barely in time before they were kicking us out/closing the gate...waited awhile for potty...unloaded. Got to swim 15-20min early; got WS on..went in water for a few minutes.

Swim: started midpack...tried to take it real easy...kept HR low, swam slow but still found myself veering to the right and bordering w/occasional panic feeling...breast stroke more than I wanted throughout to regroup...water felt real choppy to me...was very glad to get out...wetsuit felt tight/shoulders sore...I know its lack of practice, not the wetsuit.

T1...a bit slow...bike was way at the end...WS took a little longer to take off than expected and I spent 20-30sec getting compression socks on...maybe I should have wore them under WS? who knows

Got on bike...rode real hard...probably 90%, full throttle as much as I could...ave 21.4...thought I was faster but w/all the turns/bumps/etc...I guess that's about right.

T2: ran slow to rack, tested legs..thought they were ok..grabbed a swig of h2o, then ran out...not as fast as I wanted but felt ok...

Run: Legs were HEAVY!@! .75 miles in...Hams cramped severely...stopped, stretched, and started again...1.25...cramped again...stretched on top of the bridge, started again...and felt better and better. Thought I was running 8:21 for the last 3+ miles but according to my posted time the 2nd split was 8:59...not sure why I was off so much...

Time: 2:44:08....not great...but really, that was my first Olympic Tri believe it or not so I now have something to beat next year. 

Hindsight...I realized I only had 2 Oatmeal packages 3+ hours before my race...I definitely did not have enough calories pre-race. Had 3 gels and 1 1/2 bottles of heed on the bike...felt right, felt good on the bike. The run, who knows, popped two salts in t2...probably should have popped them 1/2 hour before run but I forgot...actually didn't forget...when I looked in my little bike bag...I hadn't put them in there!


Up next for Brian..... Ironman Mont Tremblant, Canada in August!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment